It’s been a busy fun few days. My brother flew down from North Carolina last Thursday to visit, and we sure did fit quite a bit in. Like mom and I, he loves the ocean….so he spent everyday getting a dose of salt, sand, and surf. One of the highlights of his visit was that he and I went kayaking in the Intracoastal waterway. I love kayaking, so it was nice to create that memory with my brother (who also loves kayaking). He’s a busy dad of identical twins who works full-time and also attends graduate school, so I’m sure you can imagine what a treat it was to spend time with him.
So what’s a taco omelette? I’d never heard of one either till it all came together in my skillet one morning last week. I had some leftover taco meat I was intending to use for a taco salad. Love taco salads! But this particular morning I spied it in my fridge as I was throwing an omelette together. Taco meat, diced onions, mexican cheese, jack cheese, diced tomato, and crushed red pepper. Oh yes….that will be GOOD!
And not only was it good….it was beyond amazing when I added a dollop of cucumber avocado salsa on the side. I could eat one of these everday. In fact, I want one right now! This omelette is good alone, but the cucumber avocado salsa takes it over the top. I’ll share that recipe later this week….promise.
A few random bits for you ~
- my mom turned 60 last week and she & I celebrated at one of her favorite restaurants (I’ll be sharing about Christopher’s Kitchen and their amazing raw vegan food soon). We had a great time!
- my oldest 2 daughters (ages 12 and 8) did well on their homeschool evaluations. I can’t believe they’re going into 7th grade & 3rd grade, respectively. Did you know I homeschool my girls? I have one in middle school, one in elementary and one in preschool. I’m so proud of them!
- a couple weeks ago my 3 year old stopped wearing a diaper at night and is now completely potty trained. Yay…..we’re done with diapers forever!
- one of the fish in our aquarium is in distress. We’ve researched it, checked the water quality and there seems to be nothing we can do. This part is very hard for me…a fish slowly dying….it breaks my heart.
- Ruby seems to be growing on me (can you believe we’ve had her 5 months already?)…I’ve even cleaned her cage solo the past 2 weeks as a kind gesture to help my hard-working hubby. He was SO appreciative! I know….don’t make it a habit. 😉 I do have to say….she’s a pretty easy pet as far as pets go.
- there aren’t enough hours in the day or week….but I’m sure I don’t have to tell you that. I’ve been very intentional about spending quality time with my girls this summer. They grow up so fast!! And now my 3 year old is learning how to play Wii…how is that possible? We’ve had such a great summer….bonding on our trip and girl time. I plan on keeping up with that.
What are some random bits in your life? A very cool feature that I’ve just installed here at Creative Kitchen is a way to “Subscribe to comments.” There’s a box below that you can check if you want to get emails of other comments on this post. It enables you to follow any conversations or follow topics you are interested in. If you follow me on Facebook, you heard me mentioning earlier today about the tweaks I’ve been making in blog design. They are subtle, but I’m aiming for easier readability. Would love to hear your opinions/thoughts….is the font easier to read?
This recipe is linked up with What’s Cooking Wednesday, What’s on your Plate, Show and Tell, Works for me Wednesday, What I ate Wednesday, Let’s Do Brunch, Real Food Wednesday, Simple Lives Thursday, Cooking Thursday, It’s a Keeper Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, Delightfully Inspiring Thursday, Pennywise Platter, Frugal Food Thursday, Fresh Food Friday, Fresh Bites Friday, Friday Favorites, Fight Back Friday, Food Trip Friday, Finer Things Friday, Friday Potluck, Monday Mania, Melt in your Mouth Monday, Mangia Mondays, Mouthwatering Monday, Tuesdays at the Table, Tasty Tuesday, Delectable Tuesday, Totally Tasty Tuesdays, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tasty Tuesdays & Hearth and Soul Hop.