How’s your summer going? The days have been hot, but living in South Florida the coastal breezes sure help us to keep cool. That and the fact that we head to the beach and pool a lot. Lately we’ve even met friends at the local “mini” waterpark. I call it “the waterpark” but my girls are quick to let me know that it’s not a real waterpark. Hey…in my mind 3 big tunnel slides, a rock climbing wall, a diving board, a splash area and a playground IN water is a lot more waterpark than I had as a kid!! Yes….waterpark!
These pictures don’t even do the “waterpark” justice….you can’t see the other 2 big slides, and you also can’t beat the “mini” price. It’s only $3 a person for residents. Can’t beat that!!
I have to brag for a quick minute on my little tadpole……this was her first summer taking the swim test at the waterpark. If you don’t pass the swim test, you don’t get to go down the amazing big slides or jump off the diving board. She totally suprised me and passed it on her first attempt EVER!! I’m so proud of her!
I’ve been meaning to share with you all some of my favorite green drinks….as in juicing and green smoothies. Today I’m finally sharing my favorite green smoothie this summer. If you’re not into green smoothies yet, please don’t let the green color fool you. You DO NOT taste the green….you DO NOT taste the organic baby spinach…..I PROMISE!! It just gives you a really cool color, and a lot of protein and energy. Green smoothies are the ultimate energy drink! TRY IT!!
What makes this particular green smoothie tops with me is the tang of grapefruit juice. If you’re not a fan of grapefruit, use lemon juice. Either way, it gives you a nice refreshing kick to your tastebuds. I’m not an exact measurer with these things. I eyeball it….but I’m putting it down in measurements for you guys. If you’re like me, and you feel comfortable moving things around, or replacing things…by all means, do so! I haven’t made a smoothie yet I didn’t like! And they are very forgiving….if it’s not exactly the taste you’re going for you can just add more fruit. 😉
A good friend of mine is hoping to start venturing back into trying the green smoothie again. I hope this recipe gives her a good start. Make sure you use frozen fruit as it makes your smoothie more frosty and therefore more fun to drink. I don’t use ice in my smoothies because we don’t have our ice maker hooked up, but if you have ice…then feel free to sub out some of the fruit for ice. It will taste just as good and stretch your fruit (aka save money!!) I’m thinking we need to hook ours up soon.
- 2 cups water
- 2 -3 cups baby organic spinach, loosely packed
- 2 cups frozen pineapple chunks
- 2-3 frozen bananas
- Juice of one grapefruit or one large lemon
- 1 - 2 Tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut, optional (added at the very end)
- ** You can make this in any decent blender (usually glass container), but it's imperative that you liquify the spinach in the water first before adding frozen fruit.**
- Add 2 cups water to blender or Vita-Mix.
- Add in spinach.
- Blend until spinach is liquid.
- Add in frozen pineapple and blend well.
- Add in frozen bananas and blend well.
- Squeeze in grapefruit juice or lemon juice.
- Blend pitcher well.
- If adding coconut, do it at the very end and don't overmix. I like the texture of the coconut in the smoothie as it gives me a bit of a chew to the smoothie.
- ** This makes a LARGE pitcher of smoothie which is enough for my family of 5. Or enough for 2 days for my hubby and me. You can cut recipe in half for 2-3 servings.**
- ANOTHER TIP: I pour these into half quart mason jars and screw the lids on and store in fridge. Smoothie will keep 2 days, and packs well for lunches or on the go. Just shake well and add a straw.