I’m super excited to share with you today’s Secret Recipe Club post! Whenever I find a recipe that’s easy to make for dinner and is also a hit with my girls….I’m sold! And you will be too. This month I was assigned The Avid Appetite. What a gem! I’ll be a reader from now on. Rachel blogs from her New Jersey apartment, and likes to explore nearby New York City with her husband Shaun. You know me…I love New York, so that was a hook for me. A cute couple and new parents, they share a zest for life and an enthusiasm for travel and trying diverse foods.
Today’s Cheesy Chicken Tortilla Soup is easy….did I mention it’s EASY? My whole family loved it! I loved how cheesy it was, and that her recipe uses REAL cheese! I loved it with medium cheddar, but it’s adaptable to any type of cheese you want….monterey jack, pepper jack, colby jack…you name it! Hope you’ll stop by and check out Rachel’s blog. And definitely try this soup…you won’t regret it!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 1 onion, finely diced (I used half of a large vidalia)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1½ cooked, boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked (I used 2)
- 2½ cups medium cheddar cheese, shredded
- 14 oz can Mexican Rotel
- ½ tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Tortilla chips, for topping
- Sour cream, for topping
- In the bottom of a large pot, heat oil over medium heat and add peppers and onions. Saute until soft.
- Add butter and melt.
- Whisk in the flour until combined. Cook for about a minute being careful not to let it burn.
- Whisk in the chicken broth and milk and bring to a light boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Once simmering, lower the heat and stir in the cheese. Stir until melted completely.
- Add in chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Add in the chopped, cooked chicken (I made mine in the convection toaster oven) and Mexican Rotel (use regular rotel or diced tomato if you don't want it spicy).
- Serve in bowls and top with sour cream and crushed tortilla chips.
If you enjoyed this post or recipe, please pass it along! There are many ways you can SHARE. One of the most popular options is to PIN it on Pinterest or to LIKE it on Facebook. It really makes my day! To make sure you don’t miss a post or recipe you can either follow Creative Kitchen on Facebook or Pinterest. Or subscribe by RSS subscription or Email in the sidebar. It’s FREE! Thanks for reading….I love having company in the kitchen!
Easy, cheesy, yummy?!?! My favorite things!
A Couple in the Kitchen recently posted..(Yellow) Watermelon Salad with Bleu Cheese, Pancetta and Basil for Secret Recipe Club
This looks soooooo good. It is always one of my fave things to make. Can’t wait to try this version 🙂
chelsy recently posted..Secret Recipe Club
That is one of my favorite soups soups and I love your take on it. I’ll try it once fall hits. My family will love this!
Even though it is close to 85 degrees in the Bay Area, oh how I would love a bowl of this delicious soup right now. Glad to be part of SRC group C with you!
Yum! I love when you make soups like this and get to load it up with lots and lots of toppings.
Karen – Cinnamon Freud recently posted..Funnel Cake: Secret Recipe Club
Ooh – this looks so tasty, filling and an easy dinner recipe!
Deanna Segrave-Daly recently posted..Maple Honey Wheat Bread with Apricot Spread – Secret Recipe Club
I’m a Mexican food LOVER….. so these flavors speak to me. I’m always on the hunt for new twists on Tortilla Soup. This sounds delish. Thinking I will make this for my Book Club girls. 🙂
Kim | Just For Clicks recently posted..Back to the Basics | Weigh-In Wednesday
Pingback: Cheesy Chicken Tortilla Soup: Creative Kitchen | The Secret Recipe Club
Has anyone tried freezing this after making it? I need to do soups for freezing.