I’m super excited to share with you today’s Secret Recipe Club post! Whenever I find a recipe that’s easy to make for dinner and is also a hit with my girls….I’m sold! And you will be too. This month I was assigned The Avid Appetite. What a gem! I’ll be a reader from now on. Rachel blogs from her New Jersey apartment, and likes to explore nearby New York City with her husband Shaun. You know me…I love New York, so that was a hook for me. A cute couple and new parents, they share a zest for life and an enthusiasm for travel and trying diverse foods.
Today’s Cheesy Chicken Tortilla Soup is easy….did I mention it’s EASY? My whole family loved it! I loved how cheesy it was, and that her recipe uses REAL cheese! I loved it with medium cheddar, but it’s adaptable to any type of cheese you want….monterey jack, pepper jack, colby jack…you name it! Hope you’ll stop by and check out Rachel’s blog. And definitely try this soup…you won’t regret it!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 1 onion, finely diced (I used half of a large vidalia)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1½ cooked, boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked (I used 2)
- 2½ cups medium cheddar cheese, shredded
- 14 oz can Mexican Rotel
- ½ tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Tortilla chips, for topping
- Sour cream, for topping
- In the bottom of a large pot, heat oil over medium heat and add peppers and onions. Saute until soft.
- Add butter and melt.
- Whisk in the flour until combined. Cook for about a minute being careful not to let it burn.
- Whisk in the chicken broth and milk and bring to a light boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Once simmering, lower the heat and stir in the cheese. Stir until melted completely.
- Add in chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Add in the chopped, cooked chicken (I made mine in the convection toaster oven) and Mexican Rotel (use regular rotel or diced tomato if you don’t want it spicy).
- Serve in bowls and top with sour cream and crushed tortilla chips.