We just got back from another wonderful weekend camping with friends! I just love camping, and have been dying to share it with you guys….just haven’t had a chance yet. We did 3 camping trips last year (our season here in Florida is October to May), and just kicked off this year a little early camping at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Campground with many of our homeschool family friends.
We always have so much fun, and the kids of course have a blast! They roam and roam all weekend, completely “unplugged” from all their electronics…out in nature playing together. These weekends remind me of my childhood. I can’t wait to do a series of posts on camping….from where we camp to tips for smooth camping to camping foods and meals. Is that something you’d like to see? Are any of you avid campers or outdoor enthusiasts?
This month for Secret Recipe Club I was assigned the blog Cook with Sara. Sara loves to cook & bake and started at a young age. Sara had many recipes I couldn’t wait to try, and I had a lot of fun reading through her blog. I almost chose the Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas, but these Chicken Taquitos won out when I realized it would be the perfect meal to bring camping with us.
These chicken taquitos are super easy to make. I even made the chicken and cheese filling ahead of time, and rolled and baked the chicken taquitos the next day. And because they’re baked, they’re healthier too. They were a hit with my family, and were perfect dipped in sour cream and salsa. They also traveled well, and were easy to heat up at the campsite.
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ½ cup green salsa
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3-6 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped (I omitted)
- 2 Tbsp sliced green onions (I omitted)
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (4 chicken breasts)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar and jack cheese
- 24 6″ corn tortillas
- In large bowl, mix softened cream cheese, salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion powder and garlic. Combine well, and add in cilantro and green onions if using. A mixer would make this step go quickly.
- Add chicken and cheese and mix thoroughly.
- Preheat oven to 425 (or use a toaster oven like I did).
- To soften tortillas, heat 10 seconds on each side in a skillet.
- In assembly line fashion, spoon 2-3 tablespoons of mixture into the front third of the tortilla in a straight line, and roll each taquito tightly.
- Place tortillas in seam side down on a baking sheet lightly coated with olive oil spray. Continue rolling until all tortillas have been filled.
- Spray taquitos with more olive oil spray, and sprinkle lightly with sea salt.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until crisp.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream and/or guacamole.
- Makes 24 taquitos.
- Can freeze these in a single layer on a baking sheet, and then placed into quart size freezer bags. If cooking frozen, 425 for 20-25 minutes without thawing.