This recipe of mine is an oldie, but a goodie! I first shared the sweet potato and black bean tostada here back in the beginnings for the blog in 2009. That old picture just doesn’t do the meal justice. So it’s definitely time for a redo, an update to share with those of you who haven’t been around that long. 😉
If you’ve never tried sweet potatoes roasted….then that is your first order of business! If you have…then you know what I’m talking about. Roasted sweet potatoes for me are an addiction. I feel no shame in saying that I can eat a whole roasted sheet of them myself. It’s crazy how good they are. If you have a sweet tooth like me, then make sure you give them a try.
These are MUCH better for you than sugar laden desserts. If you don’t want to heat up the house, then you can also make them in your toaster oven. Another idea is to make them early in the morning before the day gets too hot. But definitely make some for this recipe….you’ll thank me later!
Oh and one more thing….for those of you who think you don’t like sweet potatoes, these are not the sweet potatoes from your childhood. At least not the ones from my childhood. Give them another chance….really!
~ Go ahead and whip up my homemade salsa to go with these. It’s so easy!
- Roasted sweet potatoes
- 1 can black beans
- ¼ cup sweet onion, minced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- corn tortillas
- 1 avocado, diced
- onion, diced
- tomato, diced
- cheese, shredded
- lettuce, shredded
- sour cream
- hot sauce
- Roast sweet potatoes with olive oil, sea salt and pepper at 425 for 30-40 minutes.
- In large skillet, add onion and cook till softened. Add in can of black beans (drained and rinsed). Stir in cumin, garlic power and onion powder. Cook for 10-15 minutes until you achieve desired consistency.
- While beans are cooking, prep all toppings.
- I use frozen organic corn tortillas from Whole Foods. I pop them in my toaster oven till hard and crispy. You can also crisp them up in the oven or fry them up in a little bit of oil in a skillet.
- Spread tostada with black beans and top with roasted sweet potatoes. Add on desired toppings.