My favorite time of the month…..Secret Recipe Club time! This month I was assigned Carrie’s Sweet Life. Carrie describes her blog as, “Simple, comforting, down home food that put a smiles on the face of everyone who tries it.” And I have to agree!! I found so many recipes I can’t wait to try.
Just how do these recipes sound: Thin Mint Popcorn, Lasagna Roll Ups, and Coconut Key Lime Bread? Those and a few more I have bookmarked for future use. I finally decided on this Beefy Macaroni for a few reasons. I needed dinner, I wanted a lot of leftovers and it reminded me of a dish I ate when I was a kid. I’m pretty sure it was a Hamburger Helper meal…what was it Chili Mac? Does anyone remember?
This meal was EASY to make, and one I know I’ll be making again. My girls loved it. They all wanted seconds, thirds and leftovers until it was gone. This big dish of Beefy Macaroni lasted our family of 5 for 3 days. It’s easy to adapt, and change around as you like. Extra spices, add some heat, different cheese…whatever you want. Make sure you stop over and check out Carrie’s site. I’m sure you’ll have several new recipes to add to your meal plan!
- 1 large onion diced (I used ½ onion minced)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp granulated sugar (I used 2 Tbsp)
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 28 oz can whole tomatoes (I used Flora tomato sauce 1½ jars)
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 box macaroni, or other short pasta
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella (I forgot to add this)
- In olive oil, cook onions and then add ground beef. Brown ground beef. Salt and pepper beef while cooking.
- Add tomato sauce (about 32 oz), and all spices. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low and cook low and slow for an hour. This part is important to allow flavors to blend and meld together.
- Cook macaroni or pasta as directed on box to al dente. Drain. Add pasta to sauce, add more salt and other seasonings as needed and cover. Continue cooking and preheat oven to 425.
- Transfer pasta to a large casserole dish. I think mine was 10 x 13. Cover with shredded cheeses and cover with foil. Bake until cheese has melted. I baked without the foil.
what a great pick! I want to dig right in 🙂
Tandy recently posted..Chocolate Stout Cake
I would love to have this for dinner tonight! So cozy and comforting 🙂 Perfect for a chilly evening.
Rachel @ The Avid Appetite recently posted..Apple Sharlotka (or Apple Upside Down Cake…You’re Welcome)
This looks so good. I would love to curl up with the whole pan, and enjoy it with a movie. Bookmarked!
Glad you enjoyed this!
Carrie recently posted..Sticky Caramel Toffee Cheesecake
Homemade Hamburger Helper? This is right up my husband’s alley–great recipe 🙂
Melissa recently posted..Homemade Cheez-It Crackers
This looks great! My family would really like this, I know they would! Great pick!
Debbi Does Dinner Healthy recently posted..Baked Apple Donuts – Gluten Free
Im having a flashback to my childhood years 🙂
misschels recently posted..Secret Recipe Club.
WOW! This dish looks and sounds amazing. My hubby would adore this. Great SRC pick! Pinning to make later!
This looks so much better than hamburger helper! So comforting! I had you for this month’s SRC. We loved your black bean salsa! I’ve been enjoying it for lunch and dinner the past few days 🙂 Thanks for a great recipe!
So glad you enjoyed it! It’s one of my favorite salsa recipes!! 🙂
This is definitely on my list of things to cook for dinner. The Secret Recipe Club sounds like so much fun.
Chineka (savorthebaking) recently posted..Feature Fridays: Fall Inspired Cake Challenge
You gave me an idea. I’ll ask my wife to adapt the recipe to our tastes.
I would like to make an attempt, but it depends on my wife, unfortunately
Cristian Geo recently posted..How to select a holistic /healthy dog food
Making this tonight! I hope it’s good. 😉
Shiloh Barkley recently posted..Post Halloween Retail Therapy
Love love love oh so yummy! I never imagine any party without the presence of any pasta dishes. And this beefy macaroni gees just melts my mouth. The orange feel taste it of the cheese and the soft texture of the noodles feels so secret already. Can I use iodized salt instead of sea salt? It’s a must at home. The plating of the beefy macaroni even stand for a prosperous meal ahead.