My favorite time of the month…..Secret Recipe Club time! This month I was assigned Carrie’s Sweet Life. Carrie describes her blog as, “Simple, comforting, down home food that put a smiles on the face of everyone who tries it.” And I have to agree!! I found so many recipes I can’t wait to try.
Just how do these recipes sound: Thin Mint Popcorn, Lasagna Roll Ups, and Coconut Key Lime Bread? Those and a few more I have bookmarked for future use. I finally decided on this Beefy Macaroni for a few reasons. I needed dinner, I wanted a lot of leftovers and it reminded me of a dish I ate when I was a kid. I’m pretty sure it was a Hamburger Helper meal…what was it Chili Mac? Does anyone remember?
This meal was EASY to make, and one I know I’ll be making again. My girls loved it. They all wanted seconds, thirds and leftovers until it was gone. This big dish of Beefy Macaroni lasted our family of 5 for 3 days. It’s easy to adapt, and change around as you like. Extra spices, add some heat, different cheese…whatever you want. Make sure you stop over and check out Carrie’s site. I’m sure you’ll have several new recipes to add to your meal plan!
- 1 large onion diced (I used ½ onion minced)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp granulated sugar (I used 2 Tbsp)
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 28 oz can whole tomatoes (I used Flora tomato sauce 1½ jars)
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 box macaroni, or other short pasta
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella (I forgot to add this)
- In olive oil, cook onions and then add ground beef. Brown ground beef. Salt and pepper beef while cooking.
- Add tomato sauce (about 32 oz), and all spices. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low and cook low and slow for an hour. This part is important to allow flavors to blend and meld together.
- Cook macaroni or pasta as directed on box to al dente. Drain. Add pasta to sauce, add more salt and other seasonings as needed and cover. Continue cooking and preheat oven to 425.
- Transfer pasta to a large casserole dish. I think mine was 10 x 13. Cover with shredded cheeses and cover with foil. Bake until cheese has melted. I baked without the foil.