A couple weeks ago I was craving something fresh, light and spicy, but also craving pizza. Especially my homemade pizza crust. So I set my kitchen aid mixer to work on the pizza dough, browned up some taco meat and started chopping up my toppings. Don’t forget about my homemade taco seasoning…so quick & easy to mix up!
I preheated my oven to 550…you know with pizza, the hotter the better. Did you know those pizza ovens are around 900 degrees? Sure wish I had one of those! Remind me to tell you about my oven saga this past week. If you follow me on Instagram, then you already know. When your dough is ready, spread it with your favorite (or homemade) salsa. Then sprinkle with shredded mexican cheese and a small amount of taco meat. Bake it for 5-8 minutes (or longer if your crust is thick) until cheese is bubbly and crust is done.
Remove from oven and spread with sour cream. My favorite is Daisy, full fat of course! Add chopped lettuce, tomatoes, an abundance of taco meat and a little more shredded cheese. Optional toppings like green onions, black olives, jalepenos and more salsa can also be added. Whatever you like on your tacos, add it on. Slice and eat! I like mine with crushed red pepper flakes. There’s only one issue with this pizza….it’s hard to stop eating.
Homemade pizza is one of my favorites: If you haven’t seen these, be sure to check out my Bruschetta Pizza, Fresh Mex Flatbread Pizza, Easy Flatbread Pizzas and Berry Crumble Dessert Pizza. What are your favorite pizzas?
- Pizza crust
- Ground beef
- Taco seasoning, homemade
- Lettuce, chopped
- Mexican cheese, shredded
- Tomato, diced
- Sour cream
- *Any other favorite taco fixin’s
- Preheat oven to 550.
- Using store bought or homemade, stretch out your pizza dough on foil greased with olive oil. This is the method I use so that I can slide my foil right on top of my pre-heated pizza stone. Or you can use a pizza pan or cookie sheet if not using a pizza stone. I get a really crispy crust this way.
- Spread dough with salsa. Then add shredded mexican cheese and a small amount of taco meat reserving some to top pizza with.
- Bake for 5 – 8 minutes until crust is cooked through. Time will vary depending on the thickness of your crust.
- Remove from oven. Spread with sour cream, top with lettuce, tomato, more cheese and taco meat. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper or salsa.
- VEGANS – My homemade crust is vegan. Just omit sour cream, taco meat and cheese.
- VEGETARIANS – Just omit taco meat.