Lately I’ve been eating a lot of salads. I love salads! Bright, colorful, crisp, fresh…and with the right toppings and dressing…they have bite and zest. Not to mention how good they are for you, and how good they make you feel. Once a gal that would only touch iceberg lettuce, I slowly graduated to romaine about 5-7 years ago. And it felt good, and I felt like I was making a superior choice. And I was, nutritionally speaking. But as we all know…romaine isn’t at the top of the nutrition chart either, and last year I graduated to baby spinach for all my salads. I was shocked and surprised at how tasty it is. Raw spinach? Really?? You can’t be serious.
Fast forward to now….something I NEVER thought I could do. Two words. Spring mix!! Letting others pick and choose my greens. All mixed into one container. Some even bitter! But I have learned that it’s all in the dressings you use. It’s how you pair that lettuce. And the bitter becomes the “bite.” And it is GOOD. Try it for yourself and you’ll see.
So today I’ll share with you one of my current salad trends….
- 3 Tbsp safflower oil or good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Modena Balsamic Vinegar
- 1-2 Tbsp filtered water
- 2 Tbsp honey
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Place all ingredients into a small jelly jar (canning jar). Anything with a lid works well.
- Shake to mix thoroughly. Stores in fridge for 1-2 weeks.
- This amount is enough for me to have 3-4 large salads. I like my salads large as they are more filling.
* If you like this recipe, I would appreciate a “share” with one of the buttons below. There’s an easy Facebook share button. Thanks!!