I just love salsa, don’t you? I’ve made a lot of homemade salsa in my time, and just realized I haven’t shared one with you guys here on the blog. Crazy!! Salsa is one of the easiest things you can make, so don’t be intimidated by it. Not only is it EASY, it’s so much better than store bought…..and cheaper too! And you’ll definitely want to make it to top these Mahi Mahi fish tacos. Oh.so.good!
A tip for those jalapenos…..I wear kitchen gloves now, and never have an issue. If you wear contacts, you might know what I’m talking about. Trust me, you do not want to dice up a jalapeno and then go put in your contacts. Ask me how I know?
Oh and one more thing….you need to let salsa marinate. It’s one of those things like spaghetti sauce or chili, it just tastes better the next day. You’ve got to let all those flavors get to know one another, hang out and mingle. If you can’t make it the day before, then try to prepare it at least 4 hours ahead of time. I’d classify this as a mild to medium salsa. To adjust spiciness add in some of those jalapeno seeds, and another jalapeno if desired.
Now…get busy, time to impress those friends!!
- 3 large tomatoes, diced
- ¼ sweet onion, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced (add another if you like it spicy)
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ⅛ tsp sugar, organic preferably (optional)
- Dice and mince all ingredients and add to a medium glass bowl. I pretty much go in the order I've listed here. I use a pyrex glass bowl that has a lid for easy storage.
- I'd classify this salsa as mild to medium. For spicier salsa add in a 2nd jalapeno.
- Marinate in fridge for 4 hours or longer for complex flavors. Keeps up to a week, but won't last that long!
- * For Daniel fast, Daniel plan or Whole 30 omit the sugar